Re: dying hosta & trees

The terms "southern blight" and "crown rot" do not refer to the same
disease. These two terms seem to be used interchangeably leading to much
confusion.  From: Daniel Nelson <sussextreeinc@ce.net>
To: hosta-open@mallorn.com <hosta-open@mallorn

Dan Nelson

This is what I have been looking for.  I have seen the "white mold" in
places in my garden, but not necessarily in contact with the hosta itself.
Is it still effecting my plants?  Does the same fungicide have an effect on
the white mold as on the southern blight problem?  Hostas treated early
enough:  Will they retain their size or as in plants left untreated be
reduced in size the following year?  One plant last year left untreated,
Mary Marie Ann, was greatly reduced in size from the same fungus or crown
rot I am experiencing this year.  BTW, this was the only plant I had a
problem with last year and it was under the cherry tree.

Beth Arnold
Peoria Illinois  Zone 5