Re: dying hosta

>    Do you just pour the Clorox solution on the hosta or do you have to dig
>it up and treat it and replant it? >Jean>backhoe@scan.missouri.org

I was very concerned about using this treatment at first but now that I have
I find no problem with its usage except that I want the conditions of my
plants and soil to be somewhere near normal.  Some soil moisture and  no
mulch to hold this solution near the plant but allow it to seep into the
soil and therefore the crown itself.  This is my own reasoning which just
seemed to make sense to me.  I do not dig the plant.  Keep in mind that I do
not have Southern Blight, just common (if you can call it that) crown rot.

When I thought things were as good as they could be, except the plant in
question, I simply took a pitcher and poured in one cup of clorox and one
cup of water, mixed  and poured it onto the soil around and in the plant.  I
did not pour it onto the leaves.  The only part of the plant that was wetted
with the solution was the base of the petioles or stem of the leaves.  I
have no experience with using it on Primula.  Maybe someone else has a
comment there.
Beth Arnold
Peoria Illinois  Zone 5