Re: dying hosta

Chick wrote:

> Beth Arnold wrote:
>
> > So what are those conditions?
>
> As Dan said, high temperatures, humidity or rain, and poor air circulation
> around the plants.  My experience has been that once you have the fungus in your
> garden, it's going to come back year after year, not necessarily on the same
> plant for some reason,  but if the conditions are right, and if you don't treat
> with a preventative (and probably even if you do), once you got it, you got it
> forever.

Chick And all
That seems to pretty well sum up the nature of "the problem" here.  It
is random, and even without treatment, It may not show up in the same
place a following year.  I looked at the plants at Dan Nelsons last
week, and although he is several hundred miles south of me, I believe
the"blight" started about the same time.  I don't think it is fertlizer
related, as I have never put any fertlizer on plants in the show garden,
but have about 20 plants affected.  It may be enhanced someway, however,
by mulch.  The greatest part of my affected plants have mulch aganast
the stems.  In observing the process, I have noticed one other thing,
although the fruting bodies can "project " spores some distance form the
plant (you sure need to be careful in transporting affected leaves
around the garden)I frequentlu find ants, sow bugs and other insects
"working" in the affected areas, at the base.  I am worried that these
insects may be spreading the spores over larger areas and could account
for some of the randomness of the problem.  For that reason, I am also
using a general purpose garden dust, with bothe a fungside, and an
insectside, on the problem areas.  Does that work?  I have no clue!!!!
It will take some time to see.
Ran