Re: Transposable elements

>The big question is not or we have Trans El in Hosta.  I am sure they
>are there the question is have we unstable Trans El in Hosta,.

Appreciate the explination.  I'm just considering transposable
elements as a possible explanation for sporting in hostas.  There may
be other possibilities.  However, I have a problem with your
explaination of mutations as a cause of sporting.  Or we may not be
talking about the same thing.

Over the last 15 years I've propagated probably half a million Stella
De Oro daylilies and never have recoved any sports as such with the
exception of two variegated plants that were probably the result of
natural increase.  I use the same techniques I use with daylilies on
hostas and in some cases 50 to almost 100 percent of the new plants
are sports and a lot of these can not be explained by chimera
rearrangememnts.  There are other hostas that I have never gotten any
sports from.  The high rate of sporting that some hostas can give
under the right conditions can not be explained by mutations in the
sense that we normally think of mutations.  There is something going
on with hostas that is unique to hostas.

Joe Halinar