Re: sports

James M. Anderson wrote:
> Ben,
> If green to variegated is a mutation, we still have a problem.  Natural
> mutation occurs in the range of 1 in a million individuals.  I see green to
> variegated in numbers closer to 1 in 10,000.  Such sports are quite common
> in the laboratory.  Why do Hosta mutate so easily?  I think that Joe must be
> asking the same question.
> It is also true that some varieties variegate more easily than others.  But,
> I have the feeling that if I culture a Hosta long enough, it will variegate.
> I thought that H. Invincible would never variegate but I have now seen a
> streaked plant (not going to be attractive I am afraid).  By the way, I do
> not mean to imply that TC is inducing mutations, just that I readily see
> large numbers of plants.
> Jim Anderson
I on the other hand, would like to do more than imply, I have come to
the conclusion, that sports are far more frequent in TC than in other
kinds of growing and dividing situations.  I have come to accept that no
matter who I get my Tc from, there will likely be at least one in twenty
"off types" in many varieties.  Quote recent cases-- Purchase of 24
Summer Music in 1995 Off types= 1 all yellow, and 1 with wide green
edge, that grows six times faster than the rest!  Lets see---Purchase of
12 Fire and Ice 1998 =1 all green.  Purchase of 24 Grand Tiara 1997 = 3
all yellow.  Purchase of 24 Warwick Delight 1998 = 1 with very narrow
cream center and one completly streaked.  Purchase of 12 Strip Tease
1998 = 1 with all white center. Purchase of 24 Spilt Milk, 1998 = 1 all
green.  I could go on , but the picture is clear.  There is a vast
difference between the general notion that Hostas "color sports" occure
at the rate of one in ten thousand, and reality.  Some of this stems
from the tendancy on the part of those supplying labs with "new"
material, to spend two little time (years) making sure tha entire
original plant is completly "settled" before removing the buds to place
in TC.
I don't see this situation as universal, as you have said, some seem to
"mutate" only rarely.