Re: sports

In a message dated 8/14/1999 8:25:02 PM Central Daylight Time,
ranbl@netsync.net writes:

<< Jim
 I on the other hand, would like to do more than imply, I have come to
 the conclusion, that sports are far more frequent in TC than in other
 kinds of growing and dividing situations.  I have come to accept that no
 matter who I get my TC from, there will likely be at least one in twenty
 "off types" in many varieties.  >>

On a natural Hosta clump I think that many of the sport buds never get a
chance to grow-they tend to be the newer smaller eyes that do not grow unless
the terminal buds or stems are damaged.  They also tend not to be the
stronger growing buds unless they are an all green form on a variegated
plant. thus they are over come and suppressed by other stems

In tissue culture All "buds" get a more or less equal chance of growing.
I still think that it has more to do with numbers-but I am open to change my
mind.

Paul