Re: sports

OK Ran,

but let us be careful about what we call a sport.  An all yellow Summer
Music may be a 'sport', but I would simply call it a cull.  If we shipped
you such a plant, then I would want to know about it.  We try (but not
always succeed) to cull all the plants we ship.  Sometimes it is impossible
to see off types, but in most cases they can be removed.  Variegated Hosta
are unstable, and will revert to the unvariegated form.  This process I do
think occurs faster in a lab than in other propagation techniques.  However,
I would be curious if all this spraying of BAP-10 does not lead to increases
in off types in divided plants.

Another thing to remember is that the plants are cut in the lab on a regular
basis (three to four weeks) and if an off type arises it can often be
propagated to large numbers before the lab knows what is happening.  (This
happened to Day Lily Stella D'Or in TC a few years back.)  Hosta lines in
the lab need to be screened on a regular basis to get rid of off types and
the lines need to be replaced on a regular basis.  This also means that if
you find a sport in our plants, that odds are someone else has seen it as
well.  If we miss it in the lab, then there are probably many of them.

I find that truly new sports such as Daybreak getting a green edge, are
relatively rare in the laboratory and represent something different than
Great Expectations yielding all blue green plants.

Maybe we should not cull our plants so well, we are taking all the fun out
of finding new sports.

Jim Anderson

PS.  H. Golden Tiara (in fact all the Tiaras), Spilt Milk, Gold Standard,
and Strip Tease are so unstable, I would expect you to find some off types.