Re: sports

James M. Anderson wrote:
> OK Ran,
> but let us be careful about what we call a sport.  An all yellow Summer
> Music may be a 'sport', but I would simply call it a cull.  If we shipped
Actually Jim
It is, what ever one calls it, a very beautiful plant.  It is fine to
use the term "culls" on off types in tc that don't seem to merit farther
observation, and are not "true" to the variety.  The fact remains that
they are the result of rearrangment of "color" c in the outer cell
layers, and if they had turned out to be somethig beautiful might have
been called a wonderfull new sport.  It is not what I get in the
purchases I make that I find fault with.  I understand about the
perpetuation of a "off types" and how that can account for some of the
needed cullning.  I believe that has been pointed out earlier in the
evening, that cutting , or removing some of the "primary" buds, does in
deed "force" secondary buds.  I know from experience with a broad number
of plant varieties, that these secondary "back up buds" are frequently
the source of something different than the "norm"  That of course is
part of natures process of adaption. A relitivly high number of these
"dorment" buds seem to find their way into TC. Yes some of those Hosta
varieties I mentioned, are infact somewaht unstable.  I wonder
though,which variety of hosta we could call completly "stable".  I still
maintain that the entire process of TC prduces a high number of "color
Sports" and that is the reason I have argued for "last stage" growers,
not to be to hasty to market little TC plants, with out giving them
enough time to show any diviations. A good example of the "risk" taken
by placing TC material on the market with out proper culling, is now
showing up in many "nurseries" and other plant outlets.  That is an all
gold Fortunei.  It is being marketed, and has been for several years as
Gold standard. Those of us who know what the plant looks like , may
think "how could any one not know better.  A lady was in my garden
today, and asked why a Gold Standard label was on a varigated plant ?
She has been buying Hostas for four years, but simply did not know.  How
many hundreds of thousands of this "TC mistake" do you suppose are out
there.  I believe we need to start with some honesty about exactly what
takes place in the whole TC process, especially for "growers" that seem
to have the opnion that all the culling is or can be done by the TC lab.
Ran Lydell