Re: [nise] Re: Hosta Variegation (clarification)

In a message dated 8/10/99 11:15:53 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
hawesj@gcnet.net writes:

<< My  intention was to mention that the snow
 flurry variegation pattern had  been reported to have guard cells around
 stomata openings within the white tissue which had more than normal the
 amount of chloroplasts (compared to other cells of  the white tissue).
 The cumulative appearance of the green color of the guard cells
 contributed to the appearance of small green streaks or flecks in the
 white tissue which is typical of the snow flurry type variegation. >>

Hi Jim and All,

I was rereading some of the posts on variegation, and I wanted to ask if the
paragraph above might also apply to Gosan Gold Mist? Are there other
cell/plastid arrangements working to create the yellow on green pattern of
the leaf?

There is no clear differentiation between the L1 and L2 layers on G. Gold
Mist as in Snow Flurry. I am very new to this so any insight to this very
unique form of variegation would be appreciated.

Lori Johnson
Buffalo, NY