From: THOMAS WILSON <logicpilot@worldnet.att.net>
To: <propagation@mallorn.com>
Sent: Sunday, August 15, 1999 9:17 AM
Subject: Re: Lemon Grass ... Don't open HAPPY99.EXE

When we received the original "Lemon Grass" email, there was an
additional
email that followed a few seconds later.  This second email had the
"happy99.exe" program attached.  Don't open it.  It is a worm virus.
For
those technical people out there, the rest of this message is an excerpt
from the McAffee site.  --Tom Wilson

Virus Name
W32/Ska

Date Added
5/6/99

Virus Characteristics
W32/Ska is a worm that was first posted to several newsgroups and has
been
reported to several of the AVERT Labs locations worldwide. When this
worm is
run it displays a message "Happy New Year 1999!!" and displays
"fireworks"
graphics. The posting on the newsgroups has lead to its propagation. It
can
also spread on its own, as it can attach itself to a mail message and be
sent unknowingly by a user. Because of this attribute it is also
considered
to be a worm.

AVERT cautions all users who may receive the attachment via email to
simply
delete the mail and the attachment. The worm infects a system via email
delivery and arrives as an attachment called Happy99.EXE. It is sent
unknowingly by a user. When the program is run it deploys its payload
displaying fireworks on the users monitor.

Note: At this time no destructive payload has been discovered.

When the Happy.EXE is run it copies itself to Windows\System folder
under
the name SKA.EXE. It then extracts, from within itself, a DLL called
SKA.DLL
into the Windows\System folder if one does not already exist.

Note: Though the SKA.EXE file  is a copy of the original it does not run
as
the Happy.EXE files does, so it does not copy itself again, nor does it
display the fireworks on the users monitor.

The worm then checks for the existence of WSOCK32.SKA in the
Windows\System
folder, if it does not exist and a the file WSOCK32.DLL does exist, it
copies the WSOCK32.DLL to WSOCK32.SKA.

The worm then creates the registry entry -

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce\Ska
.exe
="Ska.exe"

- which will execute SKA.EXE the next time the system is restarted. When
this happens the worm patches WSOCK32.DLL and adds hooks to the exported
functions EnumProtocolsW and WSAAsyncGetProtocolByName.

The patched code calls two exported functions in SKA.DLL called mail and
news, these functions allow the worm to attach itself to SMTP e-mail and
also to any postings to newsgroups the user makes.

Indications Of Infection
Not Available...

Method Of Infection
Not Available...