Re: TC Culls

John Lanier wrote:

"Sometimes I don't even have a way to know what the plant is suppose to
look like" (My revision of Johns quote) I agree. In cases where a plant
is being TC produced for the first time, there is no track record and in
addtion many tiny Hostas (Tc and otherwise)  don't show their charistics
untill they are older.  Actually I have been very pleased with the
material, that has been provided to me from John.  I am not trying to
argue with the question of some culls slipping through reputable labs,
rather with the notion that "there is about one "sport" in 10,000
plants"(in TC plants).  That number is simply at odds with the facts. In
tha case of the all yellow Fortuneii (there have been some similar
cases) I can only conclude that the problem started with a Tc lab
somewhere.  There are simply to many of these plants being offered all
at once, to reasonably conclude that they are field stock.  My arguement
on this and the few culls that "slip through" is not , however , with
the TC producers,  it is with the "last stage" growers.  There is a
tendancy on the part of some , to hurry these plants to market.  Given
that there are some "off types" getting to those growers, It is
necessary that they spend enough time in their part of the growing
process to assure that the plants they supply are true to name.
Unfortunitly that is not the case in some segments of our industry.
Ran