Re: sports

halinar@open.org wrote:

> Ran:
>
> >There is a vast difference between the general notion that Hostas
> >"color sports" occure at the rate of one in ten thousand, and
> >reality.  Some of this stems from the tendancy on the part of those
> >supplying labs with "new" material, to spend two little time (years)
> >making sure tha entire original plant is completly "settled" before
> >removing the buds to place in TC.
>
> You shouldn't blame the TC labs for sported hostas that you get from
> them, nor the person supplying the plants to the labs as, in reality,
> hostas never really "settle down".  Now, the TC labs could do a better
> job of not sending off types and sports if they were to grow out the
> plants in a nursery setting and carefully check them.  However, most
> TC labs are just that, a lab.  They don't have the land to grow out
> their TCed plants nor are they in the nursery business.  Their
> business is to take a hosta, put it into culture, propagate plants
> from it and them sell off those plants while incuring as little cost
> as possible to get them to a salable size.  The sports you get in TC
> plants are actually only a reflection of what occures naturally.  Some
> hostas if you propagate them aggressively will produce high rates of
> sports.  Others produce few sports or none.  It's up to the growers
> who get the TC plants to grow them and carefully evaluate them for off
> types before selling them.  The failure to do this is causing a big
> problem for TCed daylilies right now.
>
> Joe Halinar

Joe
Every time I bring this up, the notion seems to start that I am finding
fault with TC labs.  I only have problems with some labs that are no
doubt mostly overseas, that push a lot of misnamed plants on the
market.  My only question was the statment, that " in TC,hosta sports
occur at about the rate of one in ten thousand."  That statment (not
true) sends a message to the growers, that "heck why worry "  there are
so few "off types" it dosen't matter about continuing the growing and
culling process.
Ran