Re: One in 10,000

Jim,

Think you missed my point.  I clearly did not bother to define terms well,
but was merely stating that typical nuclear DNA mutations occur in the range
of 1 in a million individual offspring produced.  I was estimating that the
change from an all green (or gold) individual to variegated occurs closer to
1 in 10,000 individual offspring produced.  Both Ran and Joe clearly think
that the number is lower, maybe 1 in 1,000?  At any rate, we can not explain
Hosta sports by simple nuclear mutations using either my estimate or Ran's.

I think that Joe and I were exploring another nuclear mechanism of movable
genes, where the numbers can be in the thousands instead of millions.  It
may be that color sports in Hosta have nothing to do with nuclear regulation
or movable genes, but both Joe and I thought it profitable to explore the
possibility.  By the way, Ben thinks that we both are all wet, so we are not
accepting any theory presented by him.

I am again being the skeptic in not just accepting the idea of chloroplast
sorting into specific tissues.  However, you may be right.  I have not read
all the literature.   My main stumbling block is how the initial sorting is
done in the Zygote so that you get a variegated seedling and how does this
sorting relate to the maternal tissue being streaked.   What makes one type
of chloroplast go preferentially into one cell and another type of
chloroplast  go in another cell when initially they are all mixed together
in the zygote cell?  A mechanism that entails nuclear regulation of
chlorophyll synthesis (or chloroplast development) is much easier to
visualize.

You ask what difference does it make what the mechanism is.  Well Jim, what
difference does anything make.  I am curious, and that is sufficient.

Jim Anderson