Re: sports

James M. Anderson wrote:
> Ran,
> We seem to be going around in a circle.   When I said I
> saw all green Francis Williams at a trade show, the whole tray was green  --
> every plant.  There were people negotiating to but the plants as well!

Jim, Ran et al:  This is the reason I and probably most other labs do
not TC 'Frances Williams'. All green types are quite common, as well as
all yellow ('Golden Sunburst'). The last time I did the plant I got very
few typical 'Frances Williams'. This is certainly not new information to
anybody knowledgable with this plant, and I haven't followed this
closely enough to have a clue as to why it got mentioned here in the
first place. In all the years I have been TC'ing plants I don't recall
getting sports or mutations of any kind that I could recognize. Careful
about jumping to conclusions though! The vast majority of the plants I
have TC'd have been new hybrids sent to me by growers. I have never TC'd
things like 'Golden Tiara' etc, a known thrower of sports. I did do
'Spilt Milk' however, and got 99.9% all green plants. Since this isn't
what most people would call a spectacular plant anyway and my resources
are limited, I no longer TC the plant.

John Lanier, Burnsville, NC