cells and chloroplast

Jim Anderson
About eggs and chloroplasts
There are about 20 chloroplast in an egg (an estimation)
Pollen dont containchloroplast in Hosta. If the egg is made in a
streaked plant part of the chloroplast are mutated. A fertilized egg(
a zygote), when dividing, will divide also the chloroplast between
the two daughter cells. Chance determines when a cell gets
chloroplast of just a single color With about 100.000 cells in a
square cm of leaf  ( my estimation) there are ample oportunities for
unequal division. Once a cell has lost one kind of chloroplast all
its offspring will have the same color This will lead to streakes in
the leaf.  Streaked plants can be  obtained via the mother
as only eggs have chloroplasts. As usual there are rare exceptions I
leave out.
Ben J.M.Zonneveld
Clusius lab pobox 9505
2300 RA Leiden