Re: Fertilising

In a message dated 8/17/1999 11:19:37 PM Central Daylight Time,
Cidjohnson@aol.com writes:

<<
 Hi Clyde,

 When is it too late to fertilize Hosta because it will trigger new growth
too
 late in the growing season?  I was just wondering if it was too late to
 fertilize mine now.

 Thanks,
 Cindy >>

If your plants have been in the ground for most of the year then you should
be able to fertilize until they turn yellow/brown in the fall.
The only time I have had problems is on new material that has come in late in
the year-but if it's mature NOW IS the time to keep them good and feed and
watered well-then you will have more increase and larger plants next year-but
remember the water too.

Paul
zone 4
Minnesota