Re: Fertilizing

Butch Ragland wrote:

> One bit of work seems to indicate that there would be 2 plant roots feeding
> at the same fungus. These 2 plants seem to pass minerals back and forth to
> each other? Wild eh! This same researcher suggest that mono culture is not
> good and a critical mass of 7 different plants are necessary for a healthy
> ecosystem. Our beds of nothing but hosta are not good for the hosta.

OK, I should probably keep my mouth shut, but statements like this drive me
wacky.  "Our beds of nothing but hosta are not good for the hosta."  What does
that mean?  Not good in what way?  Have you ever seen Van Wade's beds of
nothing but hostas?  We get a statement that one researcher suggests that mono
culture is not good and from that we draw the conclusion that we are
mistreating our hostas.  In the world of research, theory, and philosophy, the
conclusion may be valid, but in the real world? Phooey. (Don't think I've ever
written that word before, so if it's mispelled forgive me.)

After I mentioned that I visited Van's nursery this year, another hosta grower
said something to the effect: Sure he grows huge gorgeous hostas, but he uses
all that fertilizer and stuff and waters all the time and it's not natural.

All right Van, knock it off!