Re: Fertilizing

What little I know about soil and soil structure etc could be said in
almost one word, nothing, but I don't think it is possible to "feed"
soil. Modern societies, in order to keep up with increasing populations,
has gotten into the terrible practice of dumping huge quantities of
chemicals onto and into soils, thinking they are improving the soil.
This just can't be true. The only thng that improves soils is the
addition of organic composts, thus sustainable agriculture. Growing too
many hostas won't harm anything, but dumping huge amounts of things on
the soil in order to grow them bigger will harm things. If you look
around the forrest in the mountains huge numbers of perennial plants
seem to be gowing in harmony with the forrest (trees) even though the
tree roots are so thick and matted you can hardly dig a hole of any
size. Hostas will do the same, I know this from experience, if they can
survive long enough to develop a competitive root system. They will
generally do this if they have adequate moisture to survive.