Re: Fertilizing

WeedRwoman@aol.com wrote:

>  One thing we all agree on, and that
> is our soil continually needs replenishment of nutrients.  How we accomplish
> that goal is at the discretion of the tender.

Couldn't agree more with the last sentence, especially in a free
society. However, there are good soild management practices, with
respect to the SOIL, and there are bad ones. People, afterall, have the
right in a free society to truly harm themselves. Think of all the
ponderings that have gone on abaout the school shootings. How can they
be prevented, truly, and still have a free society. I, in no way,
consider myself to be a truly good steward of the soil. This is because
I can't get my hands on enough mulch, composts, and other organic
components, to make my hostas grow well. Overall, I don't think the
relatively small numbers of us hosta growers will ultimately harm the
earth, but the huge agricultural operations needed to feed the worlds
populations surely will. Just take the time to read about what is
necessary to grow crops in the arid southwest, and in parts of the world
where fertility is low, or the harm being done by cutting down the rain
forest so people can grow food to eat. I don't think we can truly argue
with Butch on the point he seems to be trying to make. We can take
comfort in the fact that there are so few of us. I wonder if someone
could give us some information on what the peat mining operations are
doing to the areas of the world where that takes place. The ornamental
plant industry, as it has developed over the years, couldn't survive
witout soil-less potting material, but this comes at a tremendous price
to the overall quality of the environment in the world.
JML