Re: Fertilizing/ "Organic" Gardening

In a message dated 8/22/1999 4:11:28 PM Central Daylight Time,
Sam020857@aol.com writes:

<<  Organic gardening is not for everyone ---- it is time consuming,
 labor intensive (check the price of organically grown produce at the local
 grocery store) and involves quite a bit of "learning the hard way."
    Continued and heavy applications of synthetic fertilizers and pesticides
 do have an extreme and lasting effect on the health of the soil.  >>

Sandie may have answered my question in the excerpt above. I guess I do not
know what is meant by "organic" gardening. Really my question is what is the
opposite of "organic" gardening? "Inorganic?" If that is the meaning then
would it not be "inorganic" to use newsprint as a mulch?  Vinegar or ammonia
to kill slugs? City water?

Or does "organic"="inert". If so, wouldn't it be wrong to use pine bark mulch
since it is not inert but combines with something in the soil to remove
nitrogen? What about compost? Gypsum?

I agree that the overuse of certain pesticides may be harmful. But how can
anything be harmed by the use of a fertilizer that contains N, P, and K and
some trace elements? Or Miracle Gro? I have used Miracid in my garden for 19
years and the garden is teeming with earthworms.

I find that "organic" gardeners are frequently "environmentalists" and
deplore the use of what everyone would consider to be "organic" ,e.g.,
Canadian peat moss and Jersey Green Sand. I gather that the "organic gardener
cum environmentalist" would advocate the application of leaves. Imagine what
would occur in a forest if all the fallen leaves were removed each year?

Clyde Crockett z5