Re: Fertilizing/ "Organic" Gardening

In a message dated 8/22/1999 10:01:39 PM Central Daylight Time,
CCREDUX@aol.com writes:

<< In fall, remove hostas and place in containers. Cut down anything that is
 creating shade. In spring, plant bed with some garish marigolds. In fall,
 replant shade trees.(This could prove to be quite dear.)
 Then replant hostas  the next spring.
 And then repeat, as indicated above.>>

 Clyde I am with you-but you lost me when you went with the marigolds.
I would like to know were the evidence is that shows that synthesized
fertilizers when used properly destroy the soil.
The "over" use may lead to some salt build up but this is a short term
problem.
I also contest the statement that "organic" soils are the best soils. Like in
all things moderation and balance is more important.
Purely organic soils have the lest fertility and produce the lest biomass
except for pure sand.
Tropical rain forests have almost "no" organics in the soil and they manage
to stay nice and lush, at least until they are cut down and the soils erode
away.

Right now the biggest problem with farming world wide is the over production
of food.
The second most pressing problem is salinazation of soils in areas of heavy
irrigation.
Irrigation in soils that have high salt content cause the salt to build up at
the surface as the water evaporates thus deposing the salt.
The use of fertilizers has a very small impact on the soil in the long run,
but the over use (excess rates of application) does have a great effect on
streams and lakes and the oceans.
I know that driving my lawn tracker over the grass once does more damage to
my soils than all the years combined that I have used synthetic fertilizers.

Paul