Re: Dividing hostas

In a message dated 8/23/1999 11:04:47 AM Central Daylight Time,
plantaholic@surfree.com writes:

<<
 When you divide hostas, what do you treat the wound with to prevent rot?  I
am getting ready to
 share a lot of hostas with my neighbor and neither one of us wants to lose
any plants.  Also, can
 someone describe exactly how to go about this process?
 --  >>

You do not as a rule need to treat the cuts to prevent rot on Hosta.
The easy part is dividing if you are working with a large clump. I have
already broken three shovels this year and the digging season is just
starting.
Once you get your baby out of the ground, wash off as much of the dirt as you
can with the garden hose- I use the power nosel set on jet.

At first I try to pull off as many division as I can without using the knife.
The next step is to cut the clump in half and wash again.
When you get to the point were you cannot make any more divisions without
doing some major cutting, take the knife and cut sections out of the clump
with 3-5 stems each.

When planting your new divisions, plant them a 1 inch deeper than they were
growing and water them in well. Keep as much foliage on the plants as you can.
Next spring your plants should look just fine.

If you want pictures of the process just ask and I will set up a page with
the steps and a picture for each step on a web page.

Paul