Preferred Growers, Preferred Scientists, Preferred Writers, Preferred Donors, etc.

Preferred and Unpreferred Robins All,

Politics anyone? Now that organic gardening vs fertilizer use has been
debated and resolved (HA!) as has monoculture vs diversified farming (HA
again!), although neither is related to hosta gardening as we practice
it,  I take it upon myself  (under freedom endowed to me by the
Constitution) to discuss politics and policy within OUR (the members')
American Hosta Society organization.

New policies of the AHS have been initiated and decribed at some length
by our new officers of the AHS in the Hosta Journal, The AHS Yearbook,
at the Winter Scientific Meeting in Jan 1999 by a panel of officers, "
decision- makers" and policy formulators and in numerous E-MAIL posts in
recent weeks. The new term "Preferred Grower" was defined whereby those
growers who are designated "preferred"  are those who will abide by new
rules and guidelines for registering and selling  their hostas. By
complying with new rules, these "preferred growers"  will be rewarded
in a number of ways and through a number of incentives.Others will not
be rewarded. Related policies/rules will simultaneously "prevent" the
names of unregistered hostas from being mentioned in the Hosta Journal,
prevent photos of  hostas not registered from being published , prevent
the acceptance of unregistered hosta plants  from being donated and sold
in the Convention Auction, prevent the showing of leaves of unregisterd
but named  hostas, and who knows what other stupid rules and
interpretations might eventually evolve. These stupid rules will ensure
non-participation, lack of cooperation, engender feelings of insults  to
our intellignece and guarantee opposition to these policies  and
guidelines at every turn.

Where did the term "preferred" come from?  Could it be the influence of
medical doctors serving as officers on the Board who are familiar with
the BlueCross/Blue Shield and other health insurance companies  who will
pay insurance claims  to "Preferred Health Providers" by not to those
who are not on the  "good" list. Who would want to be on anyone's bad
list, anyway? It goes against human nature. I suppose this pattern has
been dreamed up, adopted and  transferred to our non-profit garden
organization to assure compliance with policy and to help solve some
problems not yet clearly defined regarding registration.

I ask...preferred by whom? Surely not the rank and file of the growers
who got this dumped on them without consultation? Surely not the rank
and file membership of the AHS, many of whom are new and are apolitical?
Surely not the adult  free thinkers within our group who don't want
others to tell them what they MUST do, as though they were children. I
could name other groups of dissenters regarding acceptance of these new
policies....as could you.

I think the answer to the "preferred by whom" question is...the handful
of "decision-makers" on the Board of Directors who are ramming this down
our throats without consultation, advice or consent of membership As my
subject implies, we may become classified into groups which are known as
those preferred and those not preferred.

Let me give an example of a "Preferred Scientist". He exists in the name
of Dr. Zonneveld who had written several articles now for the Hosta
Journal. They ALL are examples of BAD SCIENCE, pure and simple,  which
is establishing a bad precedent for the Hosta Journal and the AHS. Why
is bad science being encouraged? Perhaps because Zonneveld is a
"Preferred Scientist"? I suspect the publishers are supporting bad
science because they do not know what good science is. What a shame this
has happened.It reflects on all within the membership.

I thought of writing a short article on "Multicolors in Hosta Leaves" As
a result of studying several examples of my hosta cultivars, sports and
seedlings which have multiple colors, I think I have finally figured out
some of the important reasons why they exist. I thought a simple article
would be helpful in understanding this phenomenon I noted that in
margined hostas, that the un-mutated L2 mid section of the leaf is
green, that the mutated L1 white section (for example) is white( and
sometimes changing to and from light yellow or cream). When the L2
overlaps the L1 tissue, the overlap is often celedon in color. When the
L1 tissue overlaps the L2 tissue, the color is often yellow or greenish
yellow. Other colors ( different shades of green or yellow) may also be
due to other mutations of certain cells in certain tissue of L1 and L2
which further complicates the explanation of the multicolor pohenomenon
I am describing.  It is obvious that the explanation is complex and is
quite variable from one hosta to another because of their genetic and
morpholgical variability..

I had thought of giving examples in the budding idea of an article
described above,  using some of my sports and seedlings, yet
unregistered. I have given these plants garden names to keep track of
them. But according to the new rules, any article written that contains
unregistered names of hostas  would not be used in the Journal. So, if I
wish to exercise my God given rights of free speech, I become under new
rules an "Unpreferred Writer", an "Unpreferred Scientist", an
"Unpreferred Hybridizer", perhaps even an "Unpreferred Gardener? What to
do??? I suppose nothing under current policy and guidelines.

I and others on the Hosta Wheels Committee were recently raked over the
coals by VP Clarence because we put names of new  hostas which were not
yet registered on some hosta wheels. That makes the Hosta Wheels, the
color wheel, the web Page and other information developed by the
volunteer wheels committee "not preferred" by the handful of "decision
makers" on the AHS board who know better than us volunteers what we
should do and how we should do it. Where and when will this mad
stupidity end???

ANSWER...It will end when these stupid policies are trashed. It will end
when the promoters of these stupid policies are voted out of office, if
necessary. OK, you may now take pot-shots at me. Remember, I am a moving
target, have some ammunition of my own and plenty of time to shoot it
off..

Jim Hawes