Re: Preferred Growers, Preferred Scientists, Preferred Writers, Preferred Donors, etc.

Jim Hawes wrote:

> ANSWER...It will end when these stupid policies are trashed.

Jim, you certainly have a way with words.

The three or four people who bother to read my messages might recall that I
don't much care for the preferred growers program.  Several growers have
said publicly that they will not support it, many other growers have told me
privately that they won't support it, and it is certainly not up to me to
make their view public.  It should be obvious that without grower support,
the policy cannot work and the "powers that be" should announce its demise
sooner rather than later.  Personally, I hereby predict that this policy
will never be placed in effect because the aforementioned powers already
know that it can't work.  What I can't understand is why they don't just say
so and shut us up, maybe even get our cooperation on a policy that will
work.  I guess we have to go through procedures and keep up appearances, but
sooner or later this thing is going the way of prohibition and the 55 mph
limit.  Laws and rules that are ignored by law and rule-abiding people are
by definition (mine) bad laws and rules.

If you are going to be affected by this policy, it might be helpful for the
"powers" to know whether you intend to support it or not.  I think that
those of us who have spoken out on the subject take it for granted that most
growers agree with us.  If you don't, it may be even more important to make
your views known, since we are the ones making all the noise.