Re: [nise] Preferred Growers, Preferred Scientists, Preferred Writers, Preferred Donors, etc.

  • To: nise@onelist.com
  • Subject: Re: [nise] Preferred Growers, Preferred Scientists, Preferred Writers, Preferred Donors, etc.
  • From: WiN <raffi@sympatico.ca>
  • Date: Tue, 24 Aug 1999 20:27:52 -0400

At 11:55 AM 8/24/99 -0400, you wrote:
>From: Jim Hawes <hawesj@gcnet.net>
>  Where and when will this mad stupidity end???
>
>ANSWER...It will end when these stupid policies are trashed. It will end
>when the promoters of these stupid policies are voted out of office, if
>necessary. OK, you may now take pot-shots at me. Remember, I am a moving
>target, have some ammunition of my own and plenty of time to shoot it
>off..
>
>Jim Hawes
.................firstly Mr. James Hawes ..I am truly sorry to see & read,
that you have placed yourself into that category [opposite of "PREFERRED"]
= (whatever it's called thingy?).
...............Mind you! ...Science Fiction ain't so bad to read? ..after
all, look at all the fans BengZZzz'y of Holland has!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
.................................. LOL

MY COMMENT (this about that?) RE: << PREFERRED STATUS MAKERS >> to whit:

-->> The way I see it, this matter ended at Convention in Ann Arbor last
June, when the AHS Board tabled the whole PREFERRED STATUS matter, for
future discussions and/which suggests to me "THEIR HEREAFTERS!".  It will
likely never-EVER come back onto the floor? ...YOU MARK MY WORDS! ...u hear?
     I was at my first AHS convention last June (Fly on the wall status
eh?) and here is some "HEARSAY" for you, as heard at Convention.  Whether
this is true or false, I couldn't care less, since I expect every reader
here to see between the lines; and draw their own conclusions, as to where
the AHS PREFERRED STATUS business is going and has already gone:
----->> Dr. Ralph Benedict, wanted to donate some hosta items for Auction,
but was refused because of the non-registered policy in effect?  One plant
he donated last year, sold for $3000.00 didn't it?
----->> Bette Comfrey, wanted to donate her 'Japanese Hosta Collection' but
was refused on the same basis "unregistered".  Now this is really funny,
when one considers all those Japanese hosta types being imported from
Japan, and then registered over here under another name e.g. ON STAGE =
Choko Nishiki in Japan
----->> Bob Kuk, likewise was refused auction donation via same rule.
----->> Who knows how many others were refused donation due to
non-registration of their hosta items?

I personally, was also at the Auction, and found it rather interesting to
say the least: to see that Walter's Gardens dropped a whole slew of items
into the auction; and I suppose, that was the AHS bail-out? ..after
refusing prime "PARTS OF A DREAM hostas" for selling, from unmatchable
sources, whom wished to participate and were refused!
           I suggest? ..the final question of the AHS "unregistered fiasco"
is this!  If Walter's Gardens wants only registered hosta entries at
convention, then they can supply all of the plant materials for same? ..AND
..why would anyone in their right mind?  ...want to spend their good,
hard-earned, cash-money = to go to a Walter's Gardens Hosta Convention?
           There was not much participation, from the rank & file
membership, by way of items donated into Auction at the convention in Ann
Arbor, as I saw it? and...
           To register for & fly into Minnesota for Convention 2000, will
cost hosta-folks a fair bit of money!  and... UNLESS? the hosta
participation is an open forum, without restriction of any kind; and
thereby, encouraging maximum PARTICIPATION & DONATION from the whole rank &
file AHS membership <<-- then there is absolutely no point at all! ..to
even consider going :-( Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm???

Bill Nash - Canada
ps... The way I see it:  the ["HOSTA REGISTRATION" = 'preferred
status']-business ..has flown back into the face of the AHS Hierarchy; and
to deal with that, they have thrown it out the window (tabled to the
hereafter?).
                        Look up Jimbo? ...you may see a 'Funkia LUV-Dove'
flying overhead! ...but as for the other REG'POLICY?<<=>> it's gone down
the toilet, where it belongs! <bwg> :-B))