Preferenced Growers--Another Voice

In a message dated 8/24/99 9:48:22 PM Eastern Daylight Time, CCREDUX writes:
(Here is a posting from a savvy person to whom I posted the messages about
the Pre. Growers list):
<<
 As I have said numerous times ( I suppose no one is listening), I firmly
 believe that the preferred growers program is in violation of federal law.
It
 may be against state law too, but I have asked over and over where the AHS
is
 incorporated. I find it telling that my requests have been ignored. >>

That must be public information, file a Freedom of Information request.
There must be a way to do that if the AHS is a tax exempt organization.
How silly to deny this request.  It must be in the midwest somewhere.   If
there is a historian, he must have the records.

More important than being illegal is that it is stupid.  That does not seem
to stop men bent on having dominance in just one very slim wedge of the pie.
I can assure you that no hosta luminary pic is going up in the millenium
issue of Time.

I cannot help but chuckle over this matter.  There is no other group, society
or otherwise, that stick there fingers into horticultural marketing.  When
tried it narrows the highpriced plants to an even narrower market.

We read most of the nurseryman periodicals from the family garden center
(when I have time) and you would be surprised, no amazed, at how little
respect is shown for plant societies.  The name of the game is business.
There is a tremendous concentration on labor saving devices, disease free
methods, damage free shipping.   Putzing around with a preferred growers list
or some rules on what can or cannot be sold will be overridden in less time
than it takes to talk about it.   Have not the Dutch plant exporters shown
AHS just important they are not.   When there are buyers, sellers emerge.

AHS would be far better advised to adopt a policy of absolute cooperation.
You can lead a horse to water but you cannot make him drink.