Re: Preferred Growers, etc.

Dear Jim Hawes and other list members,

As a new list member but non-the-less a founding member of the Michigan Hosta
Society and a grower/collector of species Hosta since 1970, I concur with
what Bill Reichert opined. This extraordinarily uncivil exchange is
detrimental to AHS and hosta promotion generally. I know Clarence Falstad
casually and have always considered him a gentleman and knowledgeable
plantsman. Hawes' rebuttal was totally out-of-line and purely personal.

I do NOT agree with recent AHS policies relating to "preferred growers" nor
to the mandatory re-registration of older cultivars - all of which should be
grand-fathered if named before 1959, I believe. But there are civil,
politically proper arenas to address these concerns - by attending annual
meetings, writing letters, and VOTING your concerns to the AHS Board and
Journal! I realize that AHS has become dominated by commercial interests and
that is too bad. Nonetheless, the membership can change that orientation if
the masses are determined!

The list-owner and the members should insist on future civility. I would also
recommend that the discussion of hostas be divided into two lists, at least -
one for POLITICS and another for HOSTA CULTURE!

    Jim Langhammer,     Royal Oak, Michigan

In a message dated 08/27/1999 11:43:37 AM Eastern Daylight Time,