Re: Commercial interest / determined masses / interesting subjects

Jim Langhammer,

> In an earlier posting you wrote:
>
> " I realize that AHS has become dominated by commercial interests and
> that is too bad. Nonetheless, the membership can change that orientation
> if
> the masses are determined!"

I eMailed Jim L.privately a bit ago, and asked him, among other things,
to be kind enough to simply point out the errors in Jim Hawes points. I
now really think he should do this publicly.  I also asked Jim L. what
his general background is and especially as it relates to the hosta
society, and hostas. I think this would also be of public interest.
Everyone that I know, who knows Jim Hawes will vouch for his honest,
kindness, intergity, vast scientific knowledge in genetics (especially
in hostas), and his total selflessness with everyone he comes in contact
with. I think it would also be appropriate for Jim L. to at least
explain why he is so quick to run interference for Clarence Falstad.
Clarence, like everybody else, is not lilly white and pure. Clarence's
remark to Jim "to be careful and not plagerize Warren Pollocks articles
was totally and completely uncalled for! I can't figure out why this
tight little inner circle of people stick up for one another so much.
Perhaps Jim L. could tell us the reason for that. Before people start
taking potshots at Jim Hawes perhaps they should familiarize themselves
with the personal and scientific attributes of this truly giant of a
man, in all respects. Better still, I challenge anyone and everyone to
simply point out the points where Jim is in error in his judgements and
conclusions! Someone, like Jim L., who is so sure Jim Hawes is wrong
should simply speak up, and tell us about it instead of making public,
insulting remarks about a truly good and completely selfless man.  This
should end the matter. Seems to me his only concerns are what is best
for the hosta society as a whole, as opposed to what is best for the
noteworthy and well known special interest groups hovering around the
inner power circles of the Hosta Society. There are not many people
around with his knowledge and background in hostas.

John Lanier
Burnsville, NC