>I am simply stating that it was a waste of time. No valid
>conclusions resulted. And if someone thinks valid conclusions were
>obtained, I wish that someone would prove it to me.

I'm going to stay out of the discussion of whether or not Ben's pod
setting article should have been published or if it is a waste of
space, but in a small way I would like to defend Ben a little bit.
The results, as you say have a lot of potential errors, but as a
general guide line it may have some value to novice hosta hybridizers
who may want to have some idea as to how fertile a particular hosta
may be.  The data as presented is somewhat useful for those hostas
that generally set pods under open pollinated conditions - those
hostas are most likely to produce pods under controled crosses,
although that depends on the pollen used.  If readers keep in mind the
limitations of the results, then it may serve some purpose.

However, there is some potential problems that may prevent hybridizers
from trying a particular pod parent thinking it is "sterile" or of low
fertility from looking at Ben's article.  Ben lists Golden Tiara as
having low fertility by his open pollinated observations.  However, I
have two scapes of Golden Tiara in my greenhosue that appear to be
setting every pod with a certain pollen.  In many cases a certain
hosta might not set pods under open pollinated conditions because they
are fussy about what pollen they will accept.

The other problem I have with Ben's article is that he claims to have
collected every known hosta sport, but I can't seem to find many of
these in his article.  I wanted to know the fertility of the green
form of Fascination and the stable white centered form of Fascination,
but they are not listed.  Also, I have an all green sport of Gold
Standard that is about to bloom and I wanted to know if it had any
fertility under open pollinated conditions since I have not been able
to get any pods to set on Gold Standard.

Joe Halinar