Re: fertilizer

Hi Mary,
I am the one that posted the cocktail recipe I believe you are asking

I had some feedback from another robin member that the amount of epsom
salts I was using might be a bit high. I now use 2 pounds per 600

I talked with a rep. from Peters last year because I was having trouble
figuring the correct application rate for foliar feeding perennials. I
buy Peters 20-20-20 in a ten pound box that is packaged to be used in
Peters own hose end sprayer.

The application rate for foliar fertilizing from the Peters rep. is 5.5
pounds of Peters 20-20-20 in 200 gallons of water.

I reduce that amount of 20-20-20 in my cocktail mix because I add fish
emulsion and epsom salts and fear that too high an N-P-K percentage
could result in foliar burning. I have had no foliar burning that I can
attribute to foliar fertilizing of my hostas.

To use my revised recipe in 100 gallons of water:
2 pounds 20-20-20
6 ounces epsom salts
22 ounces fish emulsion

When you are use a downstream injector like the dositron you need to
keep your fertilizer solution well mixed. If you don't, your application
rates can vary considerably.

I know a nurseryman that waters and fertilizes his whole container
nursery using a dositron. It works great. There are other similar
products on the market.

There's a whole world of cocktail mixes out there.
pesticides with fertilizer
 fungicides with fertilizer
 pesticides with fungicides
 pesticides and fungicides and fertilizer

I would like to hear some discussion on how late in the season we should
foliar feed out hostas. I am sure this will vary depending on what zone
we are in but I would imagine it could be tied to local first frost

Foliar fertilizing is widely used in the nursery trade and I am
surprised more hosta gardeners use it.

Dan Nelson
Bridgeville DE
zone 7