Re: No club discussions?

Patty:

>I opened a listserv called hostatalk@onelist.com for just that-talk
>about Hostas. However, there are 26 people signed on and not much
>talk.

>... and am only interested in "simple" Hosta talk-for example, best
>way to fertilize, how much water, favorite hostas, etc.

Good luck!  It sounds like you are going to have a boring robin.  I
don't mean this to be too critical, but either you are very
intolerant, don't know much about how email robins work or don't know
where the delete button is on your email program.  An email robin of
very like minded people might be a very safe robin, but it certainly
isn't going to be very interesting.

There are a lot of topics on hosta-open that I don't get overly
excited about.  I get the robin in digest form and when I see a lot of
these uninteresting topics I just hold down the down-arrow key while I
read. If you get the robin in regular format you can just read the
subject line and delete those messages that don't interest you.

What are you going to do when you get the first topic that doesn't fit
your hosta-safe format?  Remove the person from your list or have a
political discussion about what to discuss and what not to discuss?  I
no longer post to the nise robin since Ben was removed because I don't
like a robin that isn't tolerant of different points of view.  I may
not like Ben's bad science, but I will defend to the death his right
to be on any hosta related robin as long as I have the right to
correct his mistakes.  What are you going to do when you get two or
more people with quite different opinions?  Or worse yet what if all
the people on hosta-open who do like the politics decide to join your
new robin and discuss hosta politics!

The way I see it, email robins sever two broad purposes.  The first is
the discussion of the topic that the robin centers about.  The second
is to develop an understanding between the different members, to get
to know each other and to develop something of a "family/community."
While a lot of the political discussion may not interest all people, I
find that it reveals a lot about the people involved.  Sometimes I
read the material quickly and sometimes I get into it and correspond
privately with the person.  It sounds like you want to live in a very
safe world.  Good luck.

Joe Halinar