      From:   Beth Arnold [mailto:seabeth@heart.net]
      Sent:   Monday, August 30, 1999 8:04 AM
      To:     hosta-open@mallorn.com
      Subject:        Re: Streaked Sport '?'

      >> Mike Pinterics wrote:
      >> Hello All-
      >> I have a streaked sport of 'Gold Standard.'  Quite nice and very streaky.
      I am wondering if it is possible to maintain this "streaky sport" or if it
      will inevitably revert to Gold Standard or some other stable form.

      From: bob <bobaxe@sbtek.net>
      > Not to discourage you but I have a streaked Gold Standard which you can
      see on my homepage. Everyone else said they had one but I knew mine just had
      to be better.

      From Beth Arnold in reply to the above:  I also have this same thing occur
      in my garden each year, but I have at least 60 large clumps of GS.  I have
      many times divided out this sport.   I kept one going for a number of years
      and it stablized to the Brendas Beauty.  I have seen this same thing occur
      in at least two other gardens.  One couple in Peoria had their sport voted
      best new sport at the convention in '98,  the other sport was in Iowa on a
      garden tour at a midwest convention about 4/5 years ago.  Don't know if they
      did anything with their sport.  Gold Std. seems to sport to this type lots,
      but no one seems to keep it going long enough to do anything with it.
      Worse, is that it does not set seed readily or at all.   GOOD LUCK WITH

      message text UNSUBSCRIBE HOSTA-OPEN