Re: Best New Hosta and the Dogs

In a message dated 8/30/1999 10:17:46 AM Central Daylight Time,
jmahosta@WinterberryFarms.com writes:

 Now what are your five new favorites (or fewer if that is all there were)
that will still be here after a couple of years,
 and what are the five (or fewer) that are potential shovel bait.   >>

Without naming a lot of diffrent plants- I will just make a few observations
about what has sold this year and what has not.

The plants that people are buying are the large blues and the 'tokudama'
types plus small and mini Hosta.
One of the biggest surprises was how well 'September Sun' sold, even those
customers that do not normally buy Hosta from me wanted this one for their
gardens, they loved the two toned effect of the coloration.
Any thing with "crinkles" or puckering was popular like 'Aspen Gold.'

What did not sell was 'So Sweet' - I had single stemmed plants and one gallon
plants with 15 stems and not so much as even a question about the price, You
know it's a dud when they do not even ask the price?

'June' is still very popular so I have High hopes for 'Aristocrat' and any
other heavy substanced multi colored plant.

In the broadest sense my customers were looking for very large plants-or
small plants. White edged plants are not as popular as they were in the past
and It was a good year for the gold's.