Dividing hostas

Please repost the page on dividing hostas.  I wiped the email out with that information.

By the way, I was thinking of sending in my 99 dues to AHSA even this late in the year.  However,
this constant bickering about politics has convinced me I don't want to belong to a society that
behaves this way.  Too bad there isn't an Amateur Hosta Growers magazine like their is an Amateur's
Digest for the cactus and succulent world.!

Also, does anyone know if the shade garden society has started yet and how I contact someone about
joining this?

Please, can someone explain to me (and perhaps others?) why the issue of registered versus
unregistered hostas is so important anyway?  Why can't we just enjoy growing whatever hosta catches
our fancy?  Granted, it's nice to have an "official" name, but unless you are growing species, all
are cultivars anyway and seem to revert to other cultivars rather easily!

I don't understand why all plant societies seem so concerned about registering cultivars????  New
species, YESSSSSSSSSS!

Please don't be condescending in your explanation of this.  I am sincerely curious as to why it's
such a big deal with the hosta, daylily, streptocarpus, african violets, etc. etc. people?  There
obviously is something I am missing and would like to know about the reasoning behind this.

Diana Pederson, Lansing, Michigan, United States, USDA Zone 5
Editor:  http://www.suite101.com/welcome.cfm/enabling_garden