Re: Nemacur needs our help...Nematicide under attack by EPA?

Hello Hosta buffs,
I have been trying to procure Nemacur for the better part of 3 months. I made this decision after reading research published in the AHS Journal, Vol 30, No 1; "Control of Foliar Nemotodes on Hosta" by James R. Baker and Ronald K. Jones (NCSU, Raleigh).

The results show Nemacur 3 (2.5 gallons) as being very effective (the most effective of all products tested). Nemacur 10G (EPA # 3125-237) was labeled for use in Iowa as a retricted use nematicde, for Turf and Ornamental use. However, Bayer ceased manufacturing that product and has replaced it with the Nemacur 15G product. Unfortunately, they neglected to get it labeled for Iowa ($250.00 fee with very low demand, so little marketing justification) and now there appears to be an active push on by the EPA to get Nemacur banned. (Vydate/Oxamyl are all but gone, too).

As a Cholinesterase Inhibitor, the chemical is fairly toxic, but like cranberries and Saccharin, you're probably not supposed to eat a whole train-car full in one sitting. Application can be done only by those with a restricted use license, and the EPA is concerned that people may be getting hurt needlessly. (Applicators that aren't paying attention?)

More timely information is available at <a href="http://www.bayerfqpa.com/news_flash.html">Bayer Agricultural</a> but if you know ANYTHING about how to assist Bayer in this effort, please let me know. I understand that a person can make comments to the EPA, but am unfamiliar with the process.

Last year was the first year ever that I actually had any nematode infestation, so this year I wanted to take preventive and curative action early.  And, I received plants from three other vendors that untimately developed the symptoms, so I don't believe I am alone in needing to find a solution.
I don't want to dig every Hosta out of the ground, soak it in 120F water for 10 minutes, throw away the soil around the plant, and then replant it. I have about 400 in my personal collection at present, not to mention 3,000 or so in pots. (However, I have only seen suspected infestation in 2 pots--it's rather rare to have nematodes infect plants in containers, or so I understand.)
I have contacted an ISU extension horticulturalist, and expect to do more on this issue soon. If you can help in any way, now is the time!  We don't have many effective nematicides available to us...
--
Andrew Lietzow, Plantsman            http://hostahaven.com
HostaHaven.com                       mailto:andrewl@hostahaven.com