Re: Christmas Rose?

> Actually they kinda look like a hosta shredded by a hail storm .

Walter, that one made me laugh!

Mine start blooming in January, just before the Daphne's (which if you can
grow them, do! the scent is wonderful, even if it IS too cold to enjoy!).
I've got both H. orientalis & H. foetidus. They're great when nothing else
is happening in the garden, and act as a backdrop when the hostas to come
up. They're evergreen for me (well mostly) and I consider them the perfect
companion plant.

I grow mine in shade, but more dry than anything else. They seed like crazy
and you can fill up an area in no time. Every spring I replant babies here
and there, or just give them away.

Sam Jones of Piccadilly Farms has a yearly Hellebores Festival when they're
in bloom. What a treat to go to his home/nursery. If anyone is ever in
Georgia, it's a must see. His Hostas are spectacular. His gardens are a
dream.

Nice plant.

Lu (Atlanta, Zone 7B)