RE: Ben Z's question on Journal Publication...

My long winded friend Andrew L. wrote:

"However, I pose the question, "How has the world changed in the past 20
years and is the AHS
Journal the medium of preference for dissemination of scientific materials?"
I purpose that
the age of the Internet allows a more suitable communications vehicle.
Certainly not to the
exclusion of printed media, but the emphasis should be to post it FIRST to
the Internet, and
then if feasible, in the Journal."

Andrew,

This subject has been discussed several times in the past but very little
change has occurred. It has been suggested that we(on the web) are a small
but vocal group that is not representative of the AHS membership and that we
are asking for favors(services) that are out of proportion to our membership
numbers.

It is my observation that the AHS is not seeking advice or input from the
various hosta listserves. We have held important discussions in the past on
AHS sponsored listserves but at the present time the AHS is sponsoring no
listserves. We can discuss whatever we like on Hosta-Open but only one
member of the AHS board of directors is with us. We could use the Phoenix
listserve but many members who have had a lot of input in the past have been
removed or have left of their own accord because of poor treatment and heavy
censorship of message subjects.

It is great to hear a new voice added to the echoes of past voices asking
why is it that more information about hostas is not being disseminated by
the AHS on the internet.

One area ripe for internet usage is the Newsletter Exchange Group. I know
the Carol B. works hard at her job as the coordinator for the newsletter
editors and I don't want to step on her toes, but sometime soon this kind of
exchange needs to be done on the internet. The Delmarva Hosta Society
currently send 40 or so extra newsletters to other hosta societies'
newsletter editors via snail mail. We only have 125 members and these extra
copies and postage add significantly to the cost of our newsletter
production. On top of that only the newsletter editors get a copy and that's
about as far as these newsletters go. I have not seen another local
societies newsletter in at least a year.

Not to be overlooked in my above discussion of the newsletter editors and
their use of the internet is the fact that some people stated that they
never wanted anything they had written to appear on the internet.

Dan Nelson