Re: Newsletters,Societies,and the Internet

Hello Carol, Dan, Giboshiman, and other interested Hosta-Open readers;

RE:>>Enhancing electronic communications (with a prototype using Kathy Guest's

As a prototype of what CAN be done, I took the liberty of posting Kathy Guests Articles
(Part I, II, & III) under Hosta-Societies, Potomac Hosta Society, HIF 2000.  If that is
a problem, Kathy, please advise and I will remove them or add your copyright "request
for permission" notice.   I had saved (your) her postings for quite some time thinking
that they were sent to the group to be shared.  As we know, the review of the Hosta in
Focus - 2000 meeting that Kathy provided was exceptional.

From start to finish, it took be about 1 Hour to add the discussion topics, create the
sub-topics, past the messages and then format them.  The most time consuming part is my
tendency for perfection with removing hard CR's -- It's nearly 100% Hard-CR free, but
that took about 45 minutes.

To see the results, just go to the new Hosta Discussion Forum and take a look...
http://dev.hostahaven.com/discus is the URL.

I'm simply testing at this point...but for a means to QUICKLY distribute articles, and
for Newsletter editors to be able to pull stories down from the net, this works well.
A consideration, however, is that people would be releasing their articles to the
public domain, without copy right protection, unless so requested.  This could be done,
with an entry at the top of the article that has that person's email address embedded.
Thus the requestor can quickly scan the available articles, check for a copyright
notice, and email for permission or simply copy, paste into their preferred word
processor/DTP software, and voila.

The copyright and public domain issues need comment.  I am simply providing technology
use ideas...

This is MUCH simpler than trying to use HTML on a web page as a means to post up and
draw down articles.  Also much easier for non-techie types than using FTP.

BTW, the technology person (on the board?) of each society would be my preferred
contact who moderates content for each society.  I am happy to add moderators if anyone
wants to experiment.

Andrew Lietzow