RE: Newsletters,Societies,and the Internet

What you have done looks like it would work very well for the newsletter
editors. If what you did took about an hour, how long would it take you to
keep up with 50 local hosta groups posting each an average of 4 newsletters
per year?

This would be a great resource for newsletter editors, especially those just
starting out.

What I had in mind was newsletter editors sending whatever they easily could
in word attachments or in cut and paste e-mails and letting the other
editors saving whatever caught their interest.

I think the Hosta in Focus write up's by Kathy Guest were great. We have
room for lots more of this kind of stuff.

Why would the newsletter editors NOT want to share this information with
more people? Once an article appears in one of the newsletter exchange
groups newsletters it is available for use by any of the other editors in
the group.

The free flow of information about hostas to as many people as possible can
only help everyone involved in the growing or selling of hostas.

At Hosta in Focus two years ago Preston Littleton and I send photos from the
hospitality room. Some of these photos were less than an hour old when they
were sent. We included a small amount of text also. A woman in the room
asked what we were doing with the laptop and camera. When she was told we
were sending pictures out to 150 or so people on HostaPix she asked "Why
would you want to do that?". I thought the answer was obvious but obviously
some people just don't get it yet. I did not explain.

When the hostas come up this year I predict we will have a flow of hosta
pictures on Hosta Pix that will be truly amazing. In the long run it will
not matter if the newsletter editors share what they are doing with people
on the internet. In the next few years hosta photos on the internet and the
discussions they inspire will become the dominant source for hosta
information for those on-line. Those off-line will just have to miss out.

These are very exciting times for hosta picture and data exchange via the

Wonder how many digital cameras Santa delivers this Christmas?

Dan Nelson