Re: Digital Camera

Re: Digital cameras

I have a Olympus D400Z  (D=digital; Z=zoom lens)- purchased to take
photos at the AHS convention in Ann Arbor  (shhh, the wife thinks I got
it for taking pics of the grandchildren).  I purchased that specific
model because:
1)  it was built using a 35mm SLR camera body.  Great size, easy to hold
and light weight.
2)  it was a top rated camera for the price at that time (prices have
fallen) with lots of features
3)  had a "Smart Media" disk/card with 16Meg - enough for 73 good quality
photos -or- 4 extremely high quality (no compression) -or- 253 lower
quality photos (but good quality for the web)
4)  came as a package of camera, software and "Camedia Floppydisk
5) the disks are about the size of a postage stamp (a little thicker)
6) batteries life good enough to let you take photos all day long without
running out of power - even when using a fair number of flashes
7) I was able to use one "on trial" owned by a friend and liked it.

I just store the images on my hard drive and use a program, "ixla
Explorer", to sort and index them.  You can read more about this program
on www.ixla.com.  I use CorelPhoto House (part of the Corel WordPerfect
suite) to manipulate the pics (edit, crop, change size, etc)

Best of luck in your venture to get a camera.  In most cases, you cannot
go wrong.  Buy what fits your needs and pocketbook.  Try to find someone
that has the camera you settle on and try it out before you buy it.

Charles Tuttle
Columbus  OH