Re: Attn: Lori Johnson

Hi Lori Johnson,
Thanks for the updates on the web sites for the WNYHS.  Unfortunately
when I go to either site, I get an error message in my Netscape
browser.  Looks like they're trying to so something fancy and it's
causes my system to puke.  On the geocities one, I get the an error but
other than that, it seems to be okay.  However, on the
http://www.wnyhostasociety.org page, I get the error and then it throws
my system into a complete tizzy.  I ended up having to reboot and clean
the root file system!  Yikes!!!

Maybe this is unique to Linux-based systems but you may want to have
someone check it out.  This doesn't happen anywhere else for me.  Here
is what it says...
Netscape: Subprocess diagnostics (stdout/stderr)
open /dev/sequencer: No such device
Playmidi 2.4 Copyright (c) 1994-1997 Nathan I. Laredo, AWE32 by Takashi
This is free software with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY.
For details please see the file COPYING.
Seems like they are trying to force a load of a MIDI driver but the web
master is not checking for browser type or O/S type, and asking the user
if they want to load a plug-in.  I'd rather have a button that let's me
choose to listen to music IF I want to, but maybe this is forced on the
user by the hosting company?   I would definitely look into this.

Let me know if they get this fixed as I would like to add it to the
Hosta Discussion Forum - Hosta Societies pages, but until it is
resolved, it appears to be too dangerous for some to view.  I will
deactivate the hyperlink for now.

BTW, this one worked just fine so I've left it for now.

> http://members.tripod.com/~HostaSocietyWNY/

Andrew Lietzow