slugs

Dear friends,

Maybe I'm crazy, but here's an observation from my Detroit (z6) garden.

I, too was troubled by slugs in years past.  Not too severe, but by
mid-August, you could tell which plants were preferred bu the little
critters.  While gardening during summer 2000, I came across this HUGE
slug--about 5" long, mottled back and nasty looking as all get out.  I
figured it had hitch-hiked with some plants bought from the west coast.
While digging up a hosta to divide this spring, I found another in the root
ball.  Since it was halfway across the garden from the first one, I wurmise
that they have pretty well made a new home here.

Interestingly, this year I noticed virtually NO slug damage, even on the
"tastier" hosta.  Could this new slug be dining on the smaller ones?  The
small ones have not been in evidence hardly at all this year.

Does anyone see any connection in this, or will I be surprised next year with
3 foot-long monster garden gobbling hordes of nasty slugs?

Any observations welcome.

Jim Dixon