Re: yellow tardianas

  • Subject: Re: yellow tardianas
  • From: "Bill Meyer" <njhosta@hotmail.com>
  • Date: Mon, 3 Dec 2001 11:20:41 -0500

Hi Ben,
       I made the cross 'Frances Williams' x 'Fall Bouquet' a few years ago
along with the reverse cross. I reported on this in an article in the BHHS
Bulletin, which included a picture of three of the gold seedlings which
resulted.  These crosses yielded several golds (one picture attached) which
have some similarity to the tardianas. I have also made other crosses using
'FW' from which a few golds have resulted. Others who have grown 'Frances
Williams' seed on have reported a fair amount of golds (5-10%) among the
offspring as well. Granted, using an all-gold sport would give a much higher
percentage, but come October any sieboldiana in bloom is fairly hard to come
by.  I counted myself lucky to find a 'FW' to use for this project. I stand
by my prediction that there will be some golds among the offspring from the
crosses with tardiflora, based on my experience with 'FW' in crosses, but as
the Brits say "The proof is in the pudding". Hopefully the purchaser will
report on what comes up. There were no other hostas in bloom when the
crosses were made, so contamination will not be an issue.

........Bill Meyer
The plant in the photo is in a one-gallon pot, and was taken a few years
ago. It has not yet produced any larger leaves, and the ones here are pretty
much mature in appearance. One of the other seedlings shows red coloring in
the petioles, but this one does not.