New Catalogs

  • Subject: New Catalogs
  • From: gw1944@vermontel.net (Glen Williams)
  • Date: Fri, 14 Dec 2001 10:47:22 -0500 (EST)

I have kept all my hosta catalogs for years: some because of the pictures
and information, others because I was sure that I would find a reason for
keeping them eventually. In fact I expect that I am not alone in having
purchased some hostas I didn't need (is "didn't need" a special type of
oxymoron?) just to stay on the catalog list of a particular
vendor.......which seems to me another reason  for putting out an
"interesting" catalog.

I have received 3 so far and I have no complaints but I do have an
observation... actually two observations. If I were just starting out on my
hosta quests (this is year 17 coming up) I would think that the price range
for hostas was very reasonable. The downward spiral of the price of newer
hostas as well as the price of hosta standards seems remarkable. It is
certainly a boon for the buyer. Many antique hostas which I paid an arm and
a leg for are now avaialble for under $10.00. Being first on the block has
lost much of its thrill.Still, the allure of serious browsing time is a
comfortable thought in idle winter moments. And these moments can still
lead to the check book.....if the restraints are left untied.

The second observation is how quickly a newer introduction goes off the
market if it doesn't meet profit expectations. I suppose that backing an
Edsel doesn't pay off.Still some hostas are disappearing without a real
chance to earn their keep.

A final note. I forget who sponsored the series of $100.00, $200.00, and
$500.00 hosta gardens for The Hosta Journal, but it was a good idea. Now I
dare say that it would be possible to come up with at least a dozen $100.00
hosta gardens (without repeating a single cultivar), that given growth time
and only average care, would be spectacular in 4 or 5 years. In fact some
vendors might do well to put together  $100.00 Ideal Hosta Garden kits and
push them in the magazines. I think that lean times may be coming for a lot
of good-hosta-selling-people.

 So many plants, so little garden, so little time, so Merry Christmas.

"I mean, there needs to be a wholesale effort against racial profiling,
which is illiterate children." G Bush, Winston-Salem N.C.,October 11, 2000

Glen Williams
20 Dewey St.
Springfield , Vermont
05156