Re: New Catalogs

Hosta collections are something we do frequently, but usually on our web site
rather than in the catalog.  In fact we are working on some now.  The problem
with doing them in the catalog, for us, is the question of availability all
year.  If you run out of just one plant in a collection while the catalog is
still circulating, it screws everything up. The more plants you put in a
collection, the better chance something will go wrong. On the web, you just
change the collection or remove it.

I've never seen that much interest in collections though.  Problem is, if you
already have just one of the plants, you're probably not going to buy it.  We
do get orders for them though, especially from people new to hostas.  Last year
I put a collection of my 75 favorite hostas on the web and priced it at
$500.00.  I knew nobody would order it, but naturally someone did. He went from
having no hostas to a pretty nice collection overnight.   It was late in the
season and we were low on some varieties.  We had to divide some stock plants
to put the shipment together and I was told in no uncertain terms by the person
who had to pull and pack 75 different hostas that we would not be offering that
collection again.

Chick