Pink Flowers

  • Subject: Pink Flowers
  • From: gw1944@vermontel.net (Glen Williams)
  • Date: Sun, 30 Dec 2001 08:46:43 -0500 (EST)

As I was looking at Dutch Garden's catalogue the other day, but probably
not from as great a  need as the folks in Buffalo have at the moment, I
came to a halt on page 125. There was a photo of H.' Patriot' which had
suspiciously pink blossoms.I was reminded of the MYTHOLOGY of pink blooms
on hostas that seems to make the rounds every few years. I was also talking
to Mildred Seaver this morning who added to the fuel by saying that she had
a photo which she would share with me showing something similar.  She also
speculated, that  for there to be even a hint of pink in  any hosta flower,
the plant needed a lot of sun.  I guess I grumblingly agree that sometimes,
as a flower ages, there is almost a fugitive pink tint  that happens in
some plants. I do mean fugitive.

 Any experiences or apparitions of pink out there these days? Please don't
mention H. 'Roy's Pink'. Any hybridization in secret corners of the garden
that  promise such a flower? Can anyone name the " reddest" purple bud on a
hosta?  Not the seed pod , but the bud itself. The winner will get a foot
of snow.

The following is from Ambrose Bierce's The Devil's Dictionary: Edible, adj.
Good to eat, and wholesome to digest as worm to a toad, a toad to a snake,
a snake to a pig, a pig to a man,and a man to a worm.
Glen Williams
20 Dewey St.
Springfield , Vermont
Tel: 802-885-2839