Re: Pink Flowers

I see pink flowers on hostas all the time.  Pink?  Well, maybe lavender-pink,
or very pale pink, or near-pink.  The problem is, what is pink?  You certainly
aren't going to see "pink Cadillac" pink on a hosta, but I can see where people
would certainly see shades of close to pink in some flowers on some hostas at
certain times on a few days each year if you squint your eyes, especially if
you're wearing rose colored glasses, which I frequently do.  And of course, if
you write a catalog, if you remember that you think a flower looked kind of
near-pink one day last summer, that's good enough.  Let's name that sucker
'Pink Flowered Beauty' and send it to the lab.

An un-natural color story that has nothing to do with hostas:

Years ago, we went to ACC basketball tournament in North Carolina.
Unfortunately, we didn't have tickets and found when we got there that you
couldn't even get tickets from scalpers and there was no chance of getting in.
So what do you do in the middle of winter in North Carolina when you can't go
the the basketball game?  You visit gardens, of course.

Somebody told us that we had to see the ornamental grasses at NC State
Arboretum, Tony's old stomping grounds.  A lady who's name I can't recall had
colored them with spray paint to add some winter interest to the garden.  It
sounded so obscene that we had to go look.  Darned if it wasn't cute. I guess
there would be many who disagree, but I thought it was pretty clever.

So, since we have a fairly good stand of grasses along the road here, next
Christmas I went to the hardware and bought me some spray paint, silver, red,
green, gold, etc.  As gaudy as it sounds, the colors actually come out muted
and semi-natural looking, even the red, and I thought it looked pretty
festive.  Then, in the spring, people started coming in to the garden center
asking for those grasses that turn red and silver and gold in the winter.  I
thought it was kind of strange that many of the same people who wanted to buy
the grasses because of the winter color, thought we were weird when we told
them we painted our plants.

Chick