pod ripening

G Hi Glen
It is nor realized enough that hosta set much better seeds when
cross pollinated then when selfed I always count the number of
seed in a pod and nearly always find about half the number of
seeds in a pod when selfed. Moreover if you have only two or three
seeds in a pod these ripe faster too. That might explain the
differences you see.make
Indeed I still apply my 10 weeks rule for seed ripening However I
found this hot summer seed did ripe about a weeks earlier. I agree
if you go to the trouble to take them inside it is best to take the
pods not all at once. Probably the shortage of light slows them
down
Ben J.M.Zonneveld
Institute of Biology,Leiden University, Clusius lab
Wassenaarse weg 64, 2333 AL Leiden, The Netherlands
Zonneveld@rulbim.Leidenuniv.NL
Fax: +31-71-5274999. min temp -10(-15)C (10F)