Re: [hostapix] journal

  • Subject: Re: [hostapix] journal
  • From: Giboshiman@aol.com
  • Date: Fri, 3 Dec 2004 21:25:28 EST

In a message dated 12/3/2004 8:21:38 PM Eastern Standard Time,
RBRSSR@aol.com writes:

But, rather than checking our mail boxes everyday with anticipation,  can
someone inform us of when we can expect to receive the next Journal and if
is a plan to get on schedule?

"To all that are waiting as intently as I do I am including herein a  message
that Larry Tucker prepared just this week on the subject:

Your question may be on the minds of many American Hosta Society members.  As
vice president for publications, let me explain why you have yet to receive
Vol. 35 No. 2 and Vol. 35 No. 3 of The Hosta Journal.

Since 2002, when AHS was to  start publishing three Journals a year rather
than two, the society and its  publications staff have struggled to pick up
pace and provide members  with three Journals in the calendar year. Three are
being produced,  but the third Journal overlaps into the next year. You should
receive your  second 2004 Journal soon. It just went to the printer. Your
third Journal for  2004 is projected for delivery in March.

Next year's publication schedule should solve this  problem. A special
historical issue is being produced now and will be  mailed to you in May. This
separate issue allows our staff to forge ahead on the  second and third
which are scheduled for delivery next July and  November. So, including the
2004 Journal, you should receive four  Journals in 2005.

I hope this explanation eases your concern. We hope  that you and others will
understand that we're trying to put our  publication schedule back on track.
Meanwhile, questions like  yours reinforce how much AHS members value the
Journal. For that reason, we will  not sacrifice quality. Thank you for your

The American Hosta Society
2081 Hallwood Drive
Memphis, TN 38107
(901) 726-6151
_ltucker4@midsouth.rr.com_ (mailto:ltucker4@midsouth.rr.com) "

To amplify the material in the next to last paragraph of Larry's message
above.  I personally have been working this week assisting the Journal  staff
getting ads form 36-1.  I can tell you that as 35-2 is at the  printer and
should be mailed in the next two weeks. 35-2 and 36-1 are  simultaneously in
production in meet the schedule Larry details above.   Further, I am sharing
herein, part of the message I sent to Journal advisers on  Thanksgiving Day on

"I know that many, if  not all of you, have recently heard from Eva Jones
regarding placing an  advertisement in Volume 35, Number 3 of The Hosta
We are simultaneously producing Volume  36, Number 1 as a means of catching
up on the publication schedule.  Eva's message on #35-3 indicated that you
would likely be hearing from someone soon regarding #36-1.  I bet you didn't
think it would be this  soon or that it would be a message from the President.
The reason you are  hearing from me is that Eva has completed her term as
advertising chairperson  just in time to co-chair the AHS 2006 convention.
timing of this issue was so close to  the last issue for Eva that it provided
us with little time to get our new  advertising manager ready to handle your
questions.  (The new Ad Manager will be Chuck Steele  and you will be hearing
from him in the future regarding #36-2 and #36-3.)  Besides, this provides me
with the  opportunity to bring you the good news about our publication
In order to get ourselves back on a  track with our publication schedule we
are producing a special issue which will  provide a retrospective of past
issues of the Journal.  We think it will be a collectorbs item  for the
hosta enthusiast.  As we have been pulling this together to fill the gap, we
are on a very  tight deadline for #36-1, and I need to hear back from all of
by no later  than close of business November 30, 2004 regarding your interest
in advertising  in #36-1.  I expect to follow up this message with a phone
call over  the next few days."
Hope this  is responsive to all your questions.  Please feel free to share
this  message with anyone you feel would like to know.
Thanks  for your concern and feedback!
Your  friend in Hosta,
Kevin P.  Walek, President