Re: [hostapix] tetraploids and octoploids in hosta...what does this mean to the

  • Subject: Re: [hostapix] tetraploids and octoploids in hosta...what does this mean to the
  • From: RBRSSR@aol.com
  • Date: Mon, 20 Dec 2004 10:03:34 EST

Regarding diploid, polyploid, tetraploid, amphidiploid and octoploids, the
scientists among us need to know and understand all about chromosomes, but what
do these terms mean to the average hosta gardener?

In hostas, do we only have diploid, polyploid and tetraploid, or more? I'm
thinking Ran Lydell's H. 'Eagle's Nest' may be more than tetraploid???

More and more we are hearing and reading about particular hostas being (or
even may be) tetraploid. I believe these plants have thicker substance than
their diploid counterparts, but after that it gets foggy to me. Do tetraploids
grow slower? Do they have larger or more flowers? Will the mature size be smaller
than diploid parents?

If both the pollen and pod parents are tetraploid, will all the seedlings be
tetraploid? I assume if one of the parents is and one isn't, one would get a
mix of seedlings, correct?

I'm sure the above has been discussed at least in bits and pieces over the
last few years, but one can't retain everything. I would be most appreciative
for nonscientific explanations on what all the above means to the gardener
trying to decide which plants to purchase.

Ray Rodgers, Bartonville, IL, Zone 5

In a message dated 12/20/2004 3:16:32 AM Central Standard Time,